In episode #16 of the WarPod podcast from the Oxford Research Group, Jolle Demmers and Lauren Gould sit down with Alasdair McKay to discuss their chapter: “The Remote Warfare Paradox,” from the forthcoming E-IR book Remote Warfare: Interdisciplinary Perspectives.
Some of the topics covered include:
- The distorting effects of distance on democratic deliberation about war.
- The roots of remote warfare – why here, why now?
- The novelty (or not) of Western remote warfare vis-a-vis previous practices and the strategies of other (non-Western) states.
- How ‘war’ left our vocabularies and why it should return.
- What remote warfare means for the “truth, meaning and order” of war.